Friday, December 14, 2007

Tributes flow for killed honeymooner

Family and friends yesterday farewelled Rebecca Stockwell who was killed while on her honeymoon last week.

Two bright red high-heeled shoes adorned the coffin of a women described as an inspiration, a breath of fresh air and someone who lit up every room she walked into.

Rebecca Stockwell (nee Crawley), 26, was farewelled at a large gathering called "Forever 26" held in Blenheim's Church of Nativity yesterday.

Rebecca was killed during her honeymoon on the island of Matamanoa in Fiji last Friday, after she was hit by a boat while she was snorkelling.

Yesterday, family and friends packed the church, all wearing an item of pink clothing or other pink adornment as a mark of respect for her. Friends and Rebecca's sisters described her as loyal, a leader who enjoyed adventures and a woman who loved buying new shoes.

Funeral officiator Terry Terril said that just two weeks ago he presided over Rebecca and Hayden's wedding.

Hayden Stockwell spoke with the arms of Rebecca's parents around him. "You're my best friend. You are the centre of my world. You will always be in my thoughts, my dreams and especially my heart. I will always cherish every moment that we had together," he said.

Rebecca's mother, Heather Richards, said her first-born had a habit of springing surprises on the family. "You pulled us all along with your beautiful energy." "It's the little things that I'm going to miss the most," she said. "I don't know how anyone could feel such overwhelming sadness. (But) I know that you left this earth the happiest you've ever been in your life, with Hayden at your side."

Rebecca's father Mark Crawley said his eldest daughter - "the light of my life" - was taken from him in an act of negligence. He believed she was with those who loved her. "This does not mean that I even have the slightest comprehension why my little girl was taken from me," he added.

Six of Rebecca's school friends, all wearing pink flowers in their hair, remembered a laughing, talkative and loyal friend.

Hayden's sister, a close friend of Rebecca, said her brother had been the happiest he'd even been with his fiance and wife. "For that I will always be grateful," she said.

A former flatmate and colleague described Rebecca as "a shining star, an inspiration".

A Canterbury University professor also addressed the service, saying Rebecca managed to ask him a question he couldn't answer on her first day at lectures."She was creative and full of energy. She had a mind like a steel trap."

Hayden's father Neville Stockwell said everyone couldn't help but love Rebecca. "Bec, you made me very, very proud when you said `I do' to Hayden just a couple of weeks ago.

"What a lady."

Rebecca was buried at Fairhall Cemetery.

With permission of the Press.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home